Sometimes I read a book and it leaves a big impression on me, but I worry that it will be transient. I already utilise “One Pagers” for recording brief thoughts on interesting books or articles, but thought I could create a template that focuses on business implications.
Although teachers like myself often think that providing a list of excellent resources is sufficient to aid someone’s learning, genuine learning needs to be reflective. Therefore my advice is to read the book and then write a Business One Pager.
The basic format is as follows:
- Key information: (i.e. title of the book, name of the company, industry, era, etc)
- Situation analysis/context
- Key challenges faced
- Legal and regulatory context
- Sources of value creation
- Lessons I can implement
Of course, this is incomplete and should be treated as a work in progress. But I hope you find it helpful.
- Sample Business One Pager (.pdf)